Stoystown Lions Club
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stoystown, Pennsylvania   15563
Chartered   January 20, 1948

The bridge was named after the Trostle Family, Who immigrated here from Adams County, and opened a Grist mill.  The bridge was built by the County Commissioners in 1873 as part of the county Highway system for traffic from the Lincoln Highway to Somerset.  The bridge was completed Nov. 1, 1873.  With a span of 52 feet and 14 feet wide. 

It was said but not confirmed that John R. Mong was the builder.  Construction was the multiple king post and Childes Trusses.  Authorized by the Commissioners Sept. 12, 1902, 42 feet was added to the span, 36 feet on the far end and 6 feet on the near end.  The actual measurements are 87 feet in the clear and 5 feet on the bearing surfaces, making the span 94 feet. 

The bridge was abandoned by the county in the late 1950s and purchased by Bertram Specht.  The Stoystown Lions purchased the bridge from the Specht Heirs in 1963.  After 2 years of extensive repairs by Lion Members, the bridge was dedicated Sept. 18, 1965.  Time and weather took its toll and the main beams began to rot.  The Lions Club voted to rebuild the bridge before it fell into the stream, and started fund raising activities.  Under the Chairmanship of D. Larry Barnhart, donations were made by various lumber companies and workers.  Contributions of money were made by local business and Lion Members. 

A Bronze Plaque was permanently placed to recognize all who made the restoration a reality.  In 1993 the rebuilding was done by the Amish under the direction of David Hostetler.  Specifications as set forth in the construction plans of 1873 and 1902 were made available by the Somerset Historical Society and were followed making the bridge as it was originally.  In 1994, after the lumber dried, the first coat of paint was applied.  In 1996, the final coat of paint was applied, funded by a Grant made available by State Senator Richard A. Kasunic. 

The Bridge was rededicated on Sept. 18, 1996.  Trostletown Bridge is listed as a Historical Site on the National Register, Theodore Burr Covered Bridge Society and The Heritage Route.  After the bridge was built in 1873, a bridge previously used was sold to Isaac Wendell for $735.  Records and name of this bridge have not been found.  Isaac Wendell lived in the area and died at the age of 103. 
 
Trostletown Covered Bridge
Trostletown Covered Bridge
Before restoration
Beam construction
Acknowledgements Plaque